Allergic Sensitivity to Metals in Dental Materials

Allergic Sensitivity to Metals in Dental Materials

Allergic sensitivity to metals affects millions of people all over the world. Unfortunately, not all people who are affected have any idea that they are suffering. If you suspect you may be suffering from an allergy to your dental materials, it is imperative that you schedule an appointment with a Holistic Dentist who can replace your restorations with biocompatible materials that will not make you sensitive or sick.

metal sensitivity

Although there are many metals used in dentistry, these are the most common.

  • Silver
  • Cadmium
  • Nickel
  • Titanium

Silver Amalgam-If you have or have had silver amalgam fillings, you have been exposed to mercury toxicity to a certain degree and could be suffering from an allergic sensitivity to metals. If your immune system is depleted, if you suffer from disease related symptoms or are subject to more than one allergy, talk to Dentistry for Healthy NY about safe silver amalgam removal.

Cadmium-Cadmium is a neuro toxin that is used for paint pigments, PVC plastics, nickel–cadmium batteries, and believe it or not, dental materials. Cadmium has also been discovered in soil thanks to the use of commercial fertilizer, fungicide, and insecticide.  Patients who are sensitive to cadmium have reported rashes, sensitivity to hot and cold and mouth sores.

Nickel-Researchers are discovering that severe dermatitis could be caused by a reaction between palladium and nickel, both of which are used in dental materials. The most common symptom of a nickel allergy is itching, swelling and redness. Nickel allergies are also more common in women. People who are allergic to nickel also report a metallic taste that never goes away. If you suffer from a metal allergy, Dentistry for Health NY can replace your metal restorations with biocompatible materials that will make you feel better.

Titanium-Although less likely to cause an allergic reaction when compared to other metals, the dental world is seeing some reaction to the titanium posts used in dental implants. Titanium is highly resistant to corrosion and is biocompatible, in most cases, with the immune system. Titanium dioxide, a form of the metal, is also used to enhance flavor and is used as an additive in cosmetics, toothpaste, and foods. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to titanium include a metal taste in the mouth, muscle pain, fatigue, skin rashes, or swelling.

If you suspect you may be suffering from an allergic sensitivity to metals see your doctor or allergist.

Once you have a diagnosis, call, or click and talk to the team from Dentistry for Health NY who can safely remove your metal restorations.

Call or click today for more information regarding allergic sensitivity to metals.